A Seiko has excellent finish & movement, but it's always a case of acquiring something with the head (by that I mean the Cerberus & not the penile kind) and not the heart. Therefore with sensibilities still in mind & a pocket full of greenbacks, a Rolex DateJust would be a more interesting acquisition. Or so I thought. Having seen both the 36mm & 41mm, I've come to the conclusion that (for me at least) it's either too small (see pic above, it looks dainty to me) on the 36mm, or too large (no small part due to the thicker bezel & lugs) on the 41mm. What a shame, the model with the champagne dial is exceptional. Has an instant vintage vibe to it.
So my fantasy of reliving the DateJust my dad had (albeit with white dial) was not to come to fruition. The DayDate at 40mm with well proportioned lugs & smoothed casing wears so much nicer. Sadly, the pocket of wads was only a fraction of what is required to gain entry in to the world of the "president" let alone the issues of wearing gold on the grounds of faith & not forgetting the sheer heft of precious metal. My ultimate Rolex would have been a yellow gold DayDate with gold dial.
So we move on to the synonymous Rolex, the Submariner no date. A handsome devil but as I currently already own two dive watches (even though they are both not in the same league as a Sub), the Cerachrome bezel, 904L stainless steel & blue lume seems not enough reasons to justify adding it to my collection (at least for now...), when compared to the cons of the dial looking too similar to my GMT, sharp edges & the thicker lugs. Admittedly the black cerachrome looks sharp, and seeing it on a Sea Dweller I was seriously contemplating it in my head. The lugs looks better proportioned but the only niggle, which is a major issue, is the way the case back is designed a little bulbous making it sit too high on the wrist. Had it been a Sub with a green bezel & green dial, I shudder to think if I dared to scrape the piggy bank to make it mine!
We finally arrive to the darling that came home with me. This wasn't even in the immediate radar like the sea dweller but the opportunity presented itself and after seeing that Z-blue dial (which can only be described as the most amazing vintagey sun-burst blue color with a hint of green, which has to be seen to be appreciated & believed), the more agreeable proportions and most importantly, a price that is hard to pass up. The fact that it looks different from any of my current watches, has that funky orange second hand & green sapphire crystal, the deal was set even before money exchanged hands, and needing additional top up!
So there you have it. A perfect example of how plans can change with the introduction of an "unforeseen outlier". Many thanks to Mr VIP aka Kambomambo for conceding 1st choice to me on account of my birthday and all. Remember, that is the small event that caused all this hoopla. The Millgauss (no special name christening as yet) marks my 1st ever brand new Rolex. The GMT Master II being the 1st Rolex but pre-owned, which I still adore btw. I wonder how long I can last till the next itch comes along...



Excellent choice bubba. I would have swiped it had it not been on the account of a b'day boy. Luckily the itch is somewhat bearable as I still have plenty of toys to play with. Well done and enjoy!
ReplyDelete... the sub still turns me on! haha
ReplyDelete