Agony Aunt Central

Agony Aunt Central
Agony Aunt Central

Friday, September 25, 2015

Setting my sights for the next wrist adornment

As much as I'd love to get my hands on a Tudor Pellagos or an Omega Seamaster .... (Too many to choose from). The price of admission is not something I can simply throw caution into the wind like certain individuals. Forget about another Rolex, a DateJust is no longer entry level. Even a lowly Oyster Perpetual cost more than a Tudor. Second hand? Forgetaboutit! Rolex resell values, go figure! Need to get lucky again for that one. Even waiting for annual bonus is not in the cards anymore with a pitiful 1/2 month payout. More likely it will go to "not so mini me"'s education expenses. 

So where do we (me) go from here? I've looked at all manner of "homage" replicas. They are interesting and looks handsome, especially a Steinhart, but ultimately it's not the real thing. There is an interesting Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600. Looks less of a homage piece, nice shiny ceramic bezel (especially in red surprisingly. Also available in black, green or blue color). Bit of an unknown quantity though, plus it's kind of massive for my slightly under 7" wrist. How about a citizen? Bleh, not my style. Or a Diving sports automatic from Orient? Mmmm... It looks great but I'd rather have something with a hack / manual winding movement. If the "Pepseikola" pure automatic movement is anything to go by, it can drive me up the wall having to, for want of a better description, "Wank" it into life & charge it "vigorously". Not something I'd like to do in public. Somebody exclaimed Grand Seiko? Seriously, have you seen the prices? I might as well go for a Tudor for that kind of money. An in-house Swiss calibre carries more cachet.

Not touching fakes. Might as well buy a quality established brand. Maybe I should broaden my sights beyond a sports watch. A dress watch in a similar vein to a DateJust. Longiness perhaps? Emm nothing really pops out other than something with a perpetual calendar. Cost serious money though, plus you'll always be comparing it to the real kahuna Patek Philippe. I'd probably can't live with a leather strap either. Hey, look at the Tag Heuer F1 with a rubber strap, it's hardly getting any wrist time at all. I want... need, a quality steel strap / bracelet. 

Just when I thought I'm going nowhere, something caught my eye. It ticks all the right boxes except for one niggle, which really shouldn't be one. Here's a clue, 6R15. That's all I'm going to say for now. Need more research & dwell time to see if it really is the one, not to mention available for physical scrutiny before purchase.

1 comment: