Agony Aunt Central

Agony Aunt Central
Agony Aunt Central

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My Ultimate Rolex Sport Watches

Firstly, welcome Kambomambo to the blog. Finally, after nearly a year we see a post. All because of a small matter of activating the "Author" email that was sent by me but never clicked on. So Vaperine, you know what to do now, the authorization I resent is still languishing waiting for you to click on the link. Get to it! Now on with the show... my first post of 2015.

 Rolex GMT Master-II 116719 BLRO (aka Pan Am aka Pepsi)
This has to be the ultimate Rolex for me. Granted there will be others which holds it's value better or rated better. However, I have never been big on watches but if I had to own one, the "Pan Am" has always been my childhood fantasy. Sadly, this current iteration with the dual color cerachrome & in white gold to boot is not only rare but well outside of my means. Gone are the days when it was still in the 4 digit price range.

Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR (aka Batman)
This has to be the closest dual color bezel GMT I could afford to acquire, at least in current generation form. Actually it makes more sense in this color combination, black for night time sky & blue for day time sky as represented on the scale. There is of course the rarity issue which is the next hurdle that needs to be overcome in order to get one. Now if only Rolex would issue out the Black & Red "Coke" iteration, just to make life more interesting, or more complicated! I wonder what the price differential would be for that.

Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 LN
So if I can't get either of the above, how do I convince myself to get this? Yes it looks very sharp in all black, it's similarly priced as a Submariner with the date, has the 24 hour functionality. But it's not the one I really want, even though it looks quite handsome. The niggling thing on the back of my mind would be the lack of the dual color on the 24 hour bezel which I'm so preoccupied with. Knowing that my first Sports Watch from Rolex would probably be my one and only purchase I don't want to rue the day if I make a regrettable decision. It is after all just in the five digit figure purchase. Which is the most expensive I would have ever paid for a single item that isn't a car. 

Rolex Submariner 114060 (no date)
Honestly, I should have just bought this and be done with it. My 1st Rolex should be this entry level sports rolex. At least it's still in the four digit price range (by not much) and it possibly might not be my last Rolex, but that ship has sailed. So now I'm still timepiece-less... not considering the Tag Heuer as on now izzit... yup it's like that now! But that isn't the point. The point of this fairly long post is to decide on which Rolex Sport Watch I should go for... I thought it was clear the "Batman" would be the best balance... but it isn't readily available, unless I get it from Hong Kong. Last chance to decide before the ship sails again... hmmm, maybe that's a metaphor for me to settle for a Submariner instead of a GMT.

Images courtesy of your friendly neighborhood google

No comments:

Post a Comment